Monday, April 9, 2012

My One Post In A Busy Week

I just looked at my syllabi and it looks as if this was the only day I will get to catch some games until this weekend as my classes have teamed up against me to keep me busy until late Thursday, and by then there doesn't seem to be anything worth watching. But we will see.

First today I watched Aston Villa vs Stoke. I was excited because Stoke was a team I had seen  before that didn't blow me away, but I was also eager to see them again, as much as that doesn't make sense. After this game I feel the same way again. I'm not extremely attached to them  by any means but I will continue to look out for them and keep trying to see them. For a team I have been led to believe is one of the bottom teams, Aston Villa wasn't all that awful. I think what I am noticing is in the league there is a smaller margin of noticeable  skill difference than there is in American sports such as football. Which just ends up leading to better competition. But at the end of the game I was 100% apathetic towards Aston Villa so I don't think they will end up being a favorite.

Later was Fulham vs. Chelsea, Chelsea again being one of the teams I enjoy seeing so far and it being my first experience with Fulham. Fulham finds itself nestled in the middle of my preference list. Texas pride causes me to automatically have a love affair with Dempsey, doesn't hurt he plays well and is great to watch. The game as a whole was one of my favorite so far. Lots of controversy as far as calls go, so the tension was high. I was a little upset that Mata fellow barely played, I like watching him play.

The controversy in the calls got me thinking about the lack of review that you see in American football. Baseball being my favorite sport to follow and watch, I'm used to that. I tend to take the side of enjoying the "human element" it adds to the game. What I've noticed happening, and wish wouldn't, is if a ref feels like he may have gone the wrong way on a big time call that was iffy, he tends to give small calls that are iffy to the team he thinks should have gotten it the first time to make up for it. I think what they should do if they feel like make a mistake is issue a press apology later and leave it said and done during the game. I think trying to make up for it just adds further bias, when making up for a bad call by being a better ref for the rest of the game is the better route to go, in my humble opinion. Okay, rant over.

Sorry it's short, and sorry it's the last for a few days. I'll be back, don't forget me!

No comments:

Post a Comment